January 24, 2013
Memorial scholarships honour John Belcarz, Dan Zeidler
Applications are now being accepted for two CWA|SCA Canada
Memorial Scholarships for those enrolled in post-secondary education or training.
The two awards of $1,000 each have been created by CWA|SCA Canada to
honour the work and lives of John Belcarz and Dan Zeidler, who
made substantial contributions to the union and its members.
John served for many years on the Executive Committee of the Montreal
Newspaper Guild and was its President when he passed away in 2003. Dan was
an officer in the Guild at the CBC before becoming a Guild International
staff representative in 1991. When the Guild in Canada became an autonomous
organization in 1995, Dan became its western Canadian staff representative.
He passed away in 2007.
Both John and Dan firmly believed that everything should be done to
help people better themselves and enable them to become what they want
to be. Towards that aim, these awards are to aid in the personal development
and enrichment of those to whom they are granted.
Application forms (download
PDF) must be received by March 22. Winners
will be announced in May.
Applicants must include an essay of up to 1,500
words or a video, audio or multi-media presentation up to five
minutes in length on one of the following topics:
• Why my course of study is important to me.
• Why I believe the Labour movement is important
to Canadians in this day and age.
• What diversity — the changing face of Canada — means
to me .
• What social justice means to me and how we
can achieve it.
- The scholarships are open to current members
of CWA|SCA Canada, their
children, grandchildren, spouses/partners, nieces or nephews.
- Applicants must be enrolled or about to enter a full-time program at
a government-recognized institution of higher learning or training
(college, CEGEP, university or technical/vocational institute)
and working towards a degree, diploma or certificate.
- There are no restrictions on the program of study or discipline
selected by the applicants.
- Applicants must be prepared to accept
the scholarship in the year in which it is awarded; no deferrals
- There is no limit to the number or value of other awards that scholarship
winners may hold. But individuals are limited to receiving one
CWA|SCA Canada scholarship during any given academic year.
- The award winners must submit proof of registration
at the institution where
they are studying for the scholarship to become payable. The most
recent student transcript of the applicant must be submitted with
the application form.
Download poster about Memorial Scholarships